Houston Elder Law Attorneys
At the law office of Weiner & McCulloch, PLLC, we provide experienced legal representation for elders and their families throughout Houston. Our practice emphasizes elder advocacy and long term care planning for seniors, as well as traditional estate planning services.
Both our partners, Thomas W. McCulloch and Leonard Weiner are also CPAs as well as elder law attorneys. Our partners use their training as CPAs to provide an added perspective into the tax and financial aspects affecting elders and their assets.
Contact our offices today to discuss life care planning, estate planning or other elder law services with one of our experienced attorneys.
We Help Seniors and Families and Their Professional Advisors
We help seniors and their families and caregivers who find themselves overwhelmed and stressed out. We help other lawyers and co counsel with them as appropriate on long term care and other elder issues for the benefit of the senior client. We help financial planners, insurance professionals and other financial advisors who work with senior clients but find themselves or their clients in uncharted elder waters. If you are advising a senior client and need a second opinion or back up from an experienced and caring elder lawyer, call us. If you are a senior who feels that their current advisor may benefit from our services, suggest a joint consultation or have your advisor call us. We work with other advisors and coordinate services
We Help Families in Stress
We help families in pain from the stresses presented by the continual demands of caring for a senior parent, spouse or grandparent. Stress and pain can come in multiple varieties, shapes and sizes, such as:
- Sibling rivalry
- Mismanagement of scarce resources or assets
- Resistance from a senior who may not be safe or does not allow needed help
We can help with family dysfunction and inadequate or negligent care. Tom McCulloch's role is helping the senior and their family.
Our team works with your family and/or other professional advisor (e.g. financial planner; banker, CPA or other lawyer) to:
- Answer questions about Medicaid and Veterans' Benefits
- Protect the family home and other assets
- Plan for public benefits eligibility requirements
- Lessen family and caregiver stress
- Remain in control of your life care planning and decision making
- Avoid probate and guardianship proceedings
An Elder Law Attorney Helping Families in Texas With Difficult Decisions
We strive to offer complete and financially effective solutions to aging issues by providing a full range of legal services to address the needs of the elderly, their families, caregivers and other professionals serving the senior population including:
- Elder Law Services: We provide a wide range of long term care planning services to help elders have the highest quality of life available. We help families in transition that are facing difficult decisions regarding the care of elderly parents or loved ones, including long distance care. With input from our firm's elder care coordinator, we can help clients (and other professionals who assist seniors) identify potential care providers, address insurance issues and develop strategies to pay for care. We can provide Medicaid and/or Veteran's Benefits planning strategies to help our clients access governmental assistance for at home living, assisted living, nursing home care or other heath care assistance.
- Estate Planning and Asset Protection: We provide traditional estate planning services for the aging population. We develop estate distribution plans using wills, trusts and other estate planning documents. When applicable, we focus on asset protection strategies for estates of all sizes and work to reduce estate taxes and expenses related to estate administration. We create plans to deal with possible future incapacities using powers of attorney, trusts and health care directives. These tools allow you to give trusted individuals the power to make medical or financial decisions for you should you become incapacitated. For veterans and their spouses, our office explains what Veterans' Benefits are available and strategies to successfully apply for and receive them.
- Probate and Estate Administration: Probate courts are intended to ensure the effective and efficient transfer of property, but to the unwilling participant, probate court may not seem either effective or efficient. Our lawyers can guide you through the estate administration process and can help effectively resolve any disputes, including will contests, through probate litigation. We can help beneficiaries when an executor or trustee has mismanaged the estate, failed to make appropriate distributions or otherwise breached his or her fiduciary duties.
- IRS and Tax Problems: In addition to their having legal experience, partners Thomas W. McCulloch and Leonard Weiner are also licensed in Texas as CPAs. As a result of their knowledge of tax laws, they are uniquely qualified to handle IRS problems, including non-filing and collection situations. We can also help noncitizens and U.S. citizens living abroad with tax and business issues. We believe that your income should not be taxed twice; once by the country where the income may have been earned, and then again by the United States.
Our attorneys are committed to protecting the quality of life and independence of elders, to the greatest extent possible. Although many people require some assistance as they age, the degree of independence can vary widely with appropriate care levels. You must know the options.
Assisting Other Professionals in the Elder Law Field
If you are an attorney, a financial planner or another professional who is in need of elder law guidance, our lawyers can assist you. We have experience answering all types of questions others may have regarding elder care and will work with you to help achieve your client's goals.
Contact Estate Planning Lawyers Weiner & McCulloch, PLLC, Today
We strive to create flexible arrangements tailored to the needs of our clients. We can help you identify and advocate for quality elder care and help you avoid the maze of conflicting advice you might receive from sources with a vested interest or narrower perspective.
For additional information about our elder law and estate planning services, contact our offices today.